Wednesday, December 3, 2008

12/3/2008

La Vida Sevillana
Dedicated to my host sister Maria, who taught me how to be a true Sevillana

I am a free soul, a lighthearted spirit.
Never shy, never embarrassed,
I am confident, outspoken
Attention on me.
Viva Yo.

I awake, a las dos, to chipper words “a comer!”
I sit at the table, my face fresh from sleep.
Letting out a big sigh “ooyyye que sueno”
Afterwards I return to my loving bed,
The sheets fresh from drying in the breeze on the rooftop.
I fall asleep again.
Siesta

I go about my day happy.
Not a care in the world; no stress.
While taking a walk I stop.
My favorite café on the corner,
I talk to a friend, to anyone, for hours.
Tranquila.

I return home
I love being home,
I kiss my father and my older brother on the cheek as they sit watching futbol.
Making my way to the kitchen where I find my mother
I learn from her, as she teaches me tricks and techniques of womanhood,
Later in my room, I lie next to my sister in bed listening to music until dinner is ready
La Familia.

The day turns to dusk
I get ready for another long night ahead
I meet with my friends;
Makeup applied heavily, clothes fitting perfectly, always in heals,
We have style.
We walk to our favorite plaza to Botellon,
ignoring the callings of beautiful, blue eyed, brown haired men
ssst sssst Guapas sst ssst

We talk and drink.
We are young and full of life
So much energy and excitement
We laugh for hours, about anything, together.
We sing through the streets as we walk to the nearest discotec.
We dance all night long.
Fiesta.


The life of a Sevillana, is a life I once lived and will never forget.



This was just a little poem i wrote for one of my classes and will be my final blog on my adventures here in Spain. I have had such an amazing time here, it has been an experience of a lifetime. Although i will miss it here so much, i CANT wait to return to my home country, my family, and friends for the holidays! I leave tomorrow to go to Morocco Africa for five days and am thinking it will be quite the experience. Wish me luck and safe travels. Love everyone so much and will see you soon!!!

Bethany

No comments: